Thursday, November 5, 2009

Breast Feeding

It is pretty common knowledge that human breast milk is the perfect food for human infants. However, as a breast feeding mommy, I'm still surrounded by people questioning my commitment to breast feed my daughter.

When V was born the hospital provided a lactation counselor to help us figure this whole thing out. I was surprised at how not natural breast feeding feels initially. As an American I was basically ingrained with a disconnected relationship to my breasts. Our culture both revers and despises anything remotely sexual in nature so breasts, and more importantly their natural function as a food source, are not considered appropriate. One of the things I found most ironic about my hospital experience was the diaper bag full of free samples I was given. It was put together by Similac, the formula company. Even as a breast feeding mother I was sent home with eight prepared bottles of infant formula, coupons for formula and information on how fabulous formula is and how close it is to mother's milk. Now I understand formula can be a lifesaver if there is a condition that prohibits the mother from breast feeding her child, but I'm doing fine with providing for V and don't need supplementation. I am annoyed by all these attempts to separate my daughter from her most appropriate food supply.

Then there are the people who had to give advice on preparing for breast feeding and getting my nipples ready. Seriously. Thoughtful and well intentioned friends and acquaintances recommended everything from rubbing with a washcloth to using prescription lotions. I did nothing. Instead when V was born, she and I worked on making sure her latch was always correct. At almost three months, I have had no problems with cracking, irritation or plugged milk ducts. I understand things can always change. And there are times when I am a bit sore after a marathon nursing session, but for the most part, we are doing great.

Now the anecdote:

Everyone around me is getting sick. My husband is sick. V's godfather is sick. Half the people I used to work with, and my friends still work with, are sick. H1N1 is everywhere in the news. It is a scary time to have an infant.

A little over a month ago I did get a pretty vicious cold. Nothing flu like, but one of those end of summer colds that really knocks your legs out from under you. As I oh so classily say, I was "living in a world of snot." My husband got it even worse and was almost flat out for over a week. He didn't recover as quickly because he continued to work hard running his landscaping business. He works alone so he wasn't exposing anyone else. Then there was V. About two days before I realized I was sick I had a rough night with her. She was fussy and uncomfortable, spitting up a little more than usual and had a lot of diaper changes in the middle of the night which is unusual for her. Her temple temperature was slightly higher than normal as well, but far from concerning. The next day she was fine. And that was the extent of V's experience with the cold virus. Granted I wash my hands like crazy, but I was still blowing my nose over her while she was breast feeding and I couldn't sterilize myself. She was quite simply much more inoculated than we were. And so far she is perfectly healthy in spite of everyone around us being miserable.

And the very best thing about breast feeding?

It is free.

And natural.

And I get to cuddle my baby very close many times during the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment