Saturday, November 7, 2009

Here comes the sun

I'm trying to make the best of every fair weather day we have during this lovely autumn season.  Whenever possible I like to dry V's diapers in the sun.  This is a great practice for several reasons. A: The sun bleaches out any stains completely, and even lightens the unbleached Indian cotton pre-folds to a lovely pale ivory colour. B: I don't have to pay for electricity to dry them. C: The sun is our world's best sanitizing agent.  While I feel very confident in my washing method, I know that if the diapers spend a couple of hours out in the sun they are ph neutral, clean, sanitized and perfect for sensitive baby skin.  Plus they smell great.

In keeping with my eco-frugal lifestyle, the heat has also been turned off for this gloriously sunny and only slightly chilly day. I am wearing layers and V is in two footy pajamas.  We are nice and toasty.  Since it is breezy outside I'm hoping that the diapers will dry completely in spite of the less than strong sunlight I get in November.  If not a few minutes in the dryer will dry them the rest of the way and I saved 90% of the energy I would have used drying them completely in the dryer. I use two metal folding drying racks and can fit the entire load of diapers and wipes on them. And I set them up in my driveway.  Not pretty, but I don't care if the whole world knows I'm saving energy by drying things outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment