Friday, November 13, 2009

Few ingredient dinners that can be reheated

It drives me insane that my husband would be perfectly happy living on Wegman's prepared foods. First of all, they are not cheap, and they are loaded with extra salt and fat, and basically it's insulting.  As I'm trying to get into the habit of cooking dinners, I would love it if he would stop bringing home packages of macaroni and cheese or garlic mashed potatoes.  Mostly the expense bothers me, but they are all packaged in a lot of plastic and while it is recyclable it is still a resource drain on our planet.  So I'm trying to ween him off that and make good foods that satisfy his cravings and can be reheated as leftovers.

My mother was down from New Hampshire for a few days this week and was able to entertain and take care of V while I cooked.  After my grocery shopping extravaganza earlier in the week I had the makings for some of my favorite meals and a new experiment.

On Wednesday I made smashed pumpkin, brown basmati rice and Quorn Chik'n nuggets for dinner.  At about 8:00 p.m. I decided I wanted chocolate cake, so I made Chocolate Wonder Cake which is vegan and takes a total of about 45 minutes to make and bake.  Yesterday I made soup with potatoes, carrots, celery, spinach, onion and garlic, a potato and onion frittata and sweet noodle kugel.  Today I rested and ate leftovers.  Tomorrow my friend Serena will be bringing us dinner, gluten free pasta primavera and pumpkin muffins.  These are very good things.

Other than my current soda obsession, I'm being very good about eating healthy foods that I prepared myself.  I'm hoping to not only increase my own health, but decrease my grocery budget by continuing to do more home cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment