Sunday, November 8, 2009

Probably too much information...

I said this blog would be honest, so if you are uncomfortable with the topic of menstruation, this is not the post for you.

It has been a year since I have had my period.  Between pregnancy and breast feeding, I've been spared the monthly discomfort of cramps, mood swings and food cravings.  Okay, thats not entirely true since all three of those things are part of pregnancy, and I swear I'm eating everything in sight this week with nursing hunger. But at least I haven't bled for a year. But if I did, I would have saved a ton of money in comparison to the average American woman.

I have not purchased a menstrual product in I believe eight years.  Imagine the savings that has afforded me.  I have a fairly long and heavy menstrual period, so figure two boxes of tampons per cycle at approximately $8.00 per box, that's $192.00 per year. After eight years I've saved $1.536.00!

When I used tampons, I used o.b. brand believing they were the  most environmental option, minimal packaging, and because there is no applicator you have to get comfortable with your body.  Of course being able to put several in a pocket without anyone being the wiser was also a benefit.  However, these traditionally produced tampons still use cotton, and I believe rayon and some plastic packaging and they get flushed or tossed in the garbage.  Not to mention concerns about TSS.

So, what did I give up my o.b. for?  Washable cotton menstrual pads and a Diva Cup.  Initially I used sea sponge but that raises concerns of ocean pollution, over harvesting of sponges and sustainability.  The Diva Cup is the silicon sister of the Keeper which has been available for decades.  I have a latex sensitivity and therefore cannot use the Keeper, although as a natural product I would have preferred that option in a perfect world.

Approximately eight years ago I purchased my Diva Cup from their website in size B (before childbirth).  The cost with shipping was about $36.00 at that time. Three months of menstrual supplies.  I've had that cup for EIGHT YEARS! I also bought a collection of washable menstrual pads from Glad Rags, Pandora's Pads and another brand I can't remember and can't read on the tag any more. I use the pads as back up in the rare case the cup leaks (three or four times in eight years) and I used them as postpartum pads after V's birth.

Long story short, economically, environmentally and physically, reusable menstrual products are the best option. And, whenever I start menstruating again, that is what I will continue to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment